Millions of people around the world suffer from bad breath. Mouth odor, halitosis. Whichever way you call it, it is in every way disgusting . A friend of mine had to quit his job because his supervisor had a terrible mouth odor and he couldn’t find a polite way to let him know. We put a lot of effort into having sparkling white teeth, but we care less about our breath.
How to know if you have bad breath.
The conventional way to know if your mouth stinks is to breath with the mouth open into your palm. Honestly speaking, this doesn’t work for some people because they are already used to the odor. So, here are simple ways to know if you have mouth odor.
- Children or babies hate bad smell. So if you try to talk to them and they start to cry, then i can assure you that your mouth odor meets the international standard.
- If you realize that you always win argument with less effort, or that nobody wants to argue with you, then you should know without being told that your mouth odor is FIFA rated.
- If your partner avoid kissing you, or turns the cheek instead of mouth, then your mouth odor is in the championship categories.
Causes of bad breath
- Poor oral hygiene : this is the most common cause of bad breath. If you don’t brush or floss regularly,trapped food between the teeth will be broken down by bacteria and this can lead to bad breath.
- Smoking: this can significantly enhance gum disease, another major cause of bad breath. When smoking is combined with coffee, your mouth automatically smells like ashtray.
- Crash dieting: fasting and low-carbohydrate diet is another cause of bad breath. This kind of diet makes the body break down fat, producing chemical known as ketones, which can cause bad breath.
- Medical conditions: some medical conditions such as diabetes, lungs, throat or nose infections can also affect your breath.
How to get rid of your bad breath.
For some people, this odor has defined who the are and it has caused them a lot. You don’t have to live with it because it’s disgusting. All hope is not lost. Here are few steps you could take to get rid or minimize the intensity of your mouth odor.
- Floss daily: after brushing your teeth, make sure you floss. This will help remove food debris between the teeth that toothbrush can’t.
- Brush twice a day: it is very important to brush at least twice a day, but most importantly before going to bed at night. This will help remove plaque and food debris or residues.
- Visit your dentist: regular visit to the dentist means that you take your oral hygiene seriously. Your dentist will know and inform you how best to deal with this problem.
- Brush your tongue daily: make sure you scrape or brush your tongue daily. This will help remove any residue building up between the taste buds and folds in the tongue. You can use a tongue scraper or even your normal toothbrush
- Drinking water: drinking enough water daily can help avoid dry mouth thereby reduce mouth odor.The water helps wash away food residue and bacteria away from the mouth.
So here is my question.
- Would you kiss someone with a world class mouth odor?
- How is the best way to tell your boss that his\her mouth stinks?
Looking forward to hear your thoughts.