Half Lord of the Fishes Pose or Ardha Matsyendrasana
The yoga position Half Lord of the Fishes or Ardha Matseyendrasana is one of the easier twisting postures. Among yoga practitioners it is also called the Half Spinal Twist.
All of the twisting postures are great positions that enhance the circulation of fresh blood through the inner organs. Cleansing organs such as the Kidneys and the Liver benefit from this pose, by removing any stagnant blood.
Ardha = Half / Matsya = Fish / Eendra = King / Asana = Posture
How to Perform the Half Spinal Twist Pose
- Sit on the ground with your legs crossed. Your toes should point up.
- Bring your right foot and place it next to your left knee. The foot has to be flat on the ground.
- Place your right arm on the floor behind your back.
- Fold the left leg under you.
- Bring the left arm up and over the left knee, reaching for your right ankle.
- Hold the position for about 30 seconds.
- Release pose and repeat on the opposite side.
Benefits of Half Spinal Twist Pose
- increases purification of the blood in the internal organs
- stretches back muscles and hips
- increase elasticity of the spine
- increase flexibility of the hips
- Massages abdominal organs
- helps with nervous disorders
- increases blood flow in the spine
- increases digestive juices
- increases oxygen supply to the lungs
- helps with digestive problems, such as constipation
- Relieves back pain and stiff muscles
- regulates secretion of Adrenalin
- helps with round shoulders
- useful for diabetes with concentration on the pancreas
- (woman) beneficial for menstrual disorders
- (woman) helpful for preventing urinary tract disorders
- (woman) increases blood flow in the pelvic region and improves health of reproductive organs
Caution – Do not practice Half Spinal Twist Pose with ..
- Back or Spine injury
Yoga Poses for Kidney Health